Trippin’ on Dat ICE

It’s time to ditch my greasy old Internal Combustion Engine (ICE)! My Mustang II is currently running a 1976 2.3L v4 carbureted hunk of scrap metal. That’s not to say I’ve got anything against a carb, having that over fuel injection would certainly have solved some of the recent trouble I’ve had with my other car, but… a v4? In a Mustang? Nope, goin ‘lectric!

I bought an Impact Tool to help me pop the nuts off of the rig, but I found that most of the time I only had the room to use a plain old wrench. Getting this hunk of junk was a total pain that included me standing on the engine itself and trying to deadlift some of the bolts loose. Slippage? Let’s just say that I have about a hundred bruises.

Lesson learned during this sprint: ??? Wrenches suck…

CloseUpandOut

Tools used:

  • Ingersoll Rand 236G 1/2-Inch Edge Series Air Impactool, Silver
    • English Driver Set (Stanley)
    • Metric Driver Set (Stanley)
    • Impact Joint Set
  • Wrench Set
  • Ratchet Set 12mm – 23mm (needed english set not metric, old Fords…)
  • Couple Buckets
  • Car Jack
  • 2 Jack Stands
  • Cherry Picker/Engine Hoist
  • Air Cutoff Tool (had to cut through some of the bolts on my exhaust piping, was epic fun!)

The motor before I started turning wrenches

TheICE

Started by jacking the vehicle up. I was afraid of the jack stand’s stability for a while, but after jumping on the engine block for hours on end I managed to develop a modicum of bravery. It certainly looks precarious though. Ya, I was under that!
Jacked

Hours of tugging on wrenches, draining oil, and smashing things with my hammer out of frustration (not on the parts list) later…

Lift!

I wrapped trucker chains around the motor in order to get it out. Unfortunately I stripped the heck out of the bolts on the exhaust system so I couldn’t disconnect it. You can see it hanging off in the picture below. In order to rectify that I had to cut the bolts tying it together underneath the car. That allowed me to raise the motor as high as seen in the photo, but the exhaust pipe was still to long to go any further. Fortunately, getting the engine out this far allowed me to get a better angle on the nut and my air impact tool was able to spin it write off. That sucker was money very well spent. Glad I went with the higher-end IR. It was on sale on Amazon too, $77 bucks! At the time of this posting it was back up to $100 with MSRP at $130. so definitely happy with my timing.

Exhaust Trouble

Finally loose!

Out

Motor out and engine compartment cleaned up a bit.
OutnTouchedUp

This next part of the project is actually for the next phase (installation of the electric motor), but it shows the engine bay cleaned up and painted so I figured I’d throw it in.cleanAnyway! Let me know what you think or if I left out some obviously crucial detail that you’d like to be regaled with. Yanking the engine out was a load of fun!

 

Be Sociable, Share!